Tuesday workout – Legs!
6:00 AM WORKOUT (60 minutes) – Legs
- Warmup; Back Extensions – 3 sets of 10, Sit-ups 3 sets of 10, 3/4 GAAK Squats – 3 sets of 10
- Snatch @65lbs, 4 sets of 3, front squats, 4 sets of 3
- Back Squat – 1 set of 8@165lbs, 4 sets of 8@180lbs
- Deficit Romanian Deadlifts 12@135lbs for 4 sets
- 24 inch box jumps – 4 sets of 8 reps – quick on and off.
- Note: This was the start of Oleksiy Torokhtiy’s leg strength program (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygoz0ANCct) – he is an Olympic champion weightlifter and has some great insights into how to properly lift weights. This is a 5 week course designed to increase leg strength and it was time for a change in my training and so I opted to try this series for the next 5 weeks and see how I like it.
- 11:00 AM WORKOUT (60 minutes)- Technique
- Bench Press. 6@135lbs, 4@185lbs, 2@205lbs, 2@215lbs, 2@225lbs, 1@235lbs, 1@250lbs
- Butterfly Chin-ups; 20, 20, 16, 10
- Dumbbell Curl – 10@40lbs, 8@45lbs, 8@50lbs, 8@55lbs
- Triangle push-ups – 20, 20, 15, 15
- Note: This was a PR for the bench press – 250lbs is the most I have benched before. I still dislike this movement because it is constrained and hurts my left shoulder. I had planned to do ring dips but the pain in my shoulder inhibited my ability to perform these. This was very insightful because I didn’t link the shoulder pain to the bench press but now realize that I had always performed the bench press prior to performing the ring dips and so these are not a good series to perform. I do not plan to perform the bench press on a regular basis and I was happy that I had not lost strength here, given I have not performed it in a while. My butterfly chin-ups are improving and I need to continue to focus on the form and technique in order to continue to make improvements in the number of reps I can perform.